Instructions for Authors
- Deadlines for quarterly submissions are:
- Spring – February 1
- Summer – May 1
- Fall – August 1
- Winter – November 1
- Draft manuscripts using a word processing program (such as Microsoft Word), not PDF.
- Papers should be 6,000 words or fewer. With seven or more graphics, reduce the number of words by 500 for each graphic.
- Include an abstract of 150-200 words.
- Graphics must be in black & white or greytone. They must be referenced in the text.
- Use endnotes, not footnotes. The bibliography may be in a style considered standard for the discipline or professional field represented by the paper.
- Submit papers as email attachments to the editor or associate editor.
- Include the author’s name, affiliation, and contact information — including postal address. Membership in an Academy-affiliated society may also be noted.
- Papers are peer reviewed and become the property of the Washington Academy of Sciences.
- There are no page charges.
Please submit manuscripts to Sethanne Howard, Editor at
Board of Discipline Editors
The Journal has a 13-member Board of Discipline Editors representing many technical fields including: anthropology, atmospheric studies, biology, botany, computer sciences, engineering, environmental natural sciences, health, history of medicine, mathematics, physics, science education, and systems science.
The members of the Board of Discipline Editors are affiliated with a variety of scientific institutions in the Washington area and beyond – government agencies such as the National Institute of Standards and Technology; universities such as George Mason University; and scientific societies such as IEEE.