In 1898, The Washington Academy of Sciences formed as an affiliation of specialized scientific societies in the greater Washington area. The founders included Alexander Graham Bell and Samuel Langley, Secretary of the Smithsonian. The purpose of the new Academy was to encourage the advancement of science and “to conduct, endow, or assist investigation in any department of science.” The eight original founding societies were:
- Philosophical Society of Washington
- Anthropological Society of Washington
- Biological Society of Washington
- Chemical Society of Washington
- Entomological Society of Washington
- National Geographic Society
- Geological Society of Washington
- Medical Society of the District of Columbia
Over the years, the number of affiliated societies has increased from the original eight to more than 60 organizations that the Academy brings together through its activities.
We welcome affiliation with any scientific society based in the Washington, DC area. Affiliating with the Academy brings many benefits.
Meeting Venues in Downtown DCAffiliate reception at AAAS headquarters
- Awards banquets and affiliate receptions have been held at the AAAS building (1200 New York Ave. NW). Rooms include Abelson, Haskins, Revelle, and a board room (Room 207). Receptions in the main lobby are also possible. Meeting rooms should be requested well in advance to ensure availability. (There may be a charge from AAAS.)
- Publicity for our Affiliates’ functions includes posting on our website (about 10,000 visits monthly) and email circulation to all of our Affiliates.
The Journal of the Washington Academy of Sciences
- Members of our Affiliated Societies receive priority to publish in the prestigious Journal of the Washington Academy of Sciences (all papers are peer-reviewed).
- Members of the Academy may request that any Journal article be posted on the Academy website at no cost (all of the Tables of Contents since 1898 are posted). The delegates from the Affiliates may make the request on behalf of any member of the Affiliate. This service is not available to non-members.
Please contact us if you are interested in adding your organization to our Affiliates membership.